Sunday, August 24, 2014

The importance of not forgetting your daughter!

Who wants their daughter to be a high school dropout? A job hopper? A young single mother on welfare? A baby mama?

Not me and I hope not you either!

The grooming of a girl to become a woman of charm and the cherished wife of a good man is best started at a very young age. By very I mean 4 or 5 years old. WHAT!? I know you're probably thinking I'm crazy but listen up. When we are young we are malleable! The things we hear, see and feel shape us in ways we don't realize. As a young girl I would watch Tales of the Crypt with my mother. I was also exposed to classical music and played the violin my entire childhood. I grew up with an interest in "the dark side" and musical theatre, so now as a young lady my interests include musicals like "Phantom of the Opera", "Sweeney Todd", etc. I am also heavily involved in the local community theatre and fine art scene. Do you get it? The lessons we learn, the skills we acquire, the hobbies we indulge in as children influence us for the rests of our lives. That's why it is important for us to raise our children a certain way.

I feel like as a collective, Black women, we have gotten the short end of the stick. Our parents weren't looking out for us. I feel that the women/girls of other races were taught a lot of things that we weren't because the generations before us were so focused on "the brothas". For instance, my white and asian classmates have known things regarding dating, finance, marriage, nutrition/weight control that I have recently learned about the past year! That's horrible! Their families are looking out for them and trying their best to secure them a place in society while the BC is leaving Black girls to fend for themselves and ridicule them for the behavior that accompanies low self-worth, dysfunctional dating habits, fear of men, etc. The struggle is real for us, especially for the BW who were born into not-so-great situations, like single parent household, low-income households, the inner city, etc. If you aren't raised to have a high self-esteem, strive for a fine education, haven't travelled or been exposed to things that will make you well-rounded then it is very hard to socially climb :( There is hope though! I think as long as you are a woman of value and are working to better yourself and are smart about who you date and learn how to take/use advice, you can break free of your less-than-stellar upbringing and secure a fabulous man to marry you and being your family legacy. 

I don't have children yet but I know for sure that I am not going to ignore my daughters! In fact, my fiancee and I have opened a savings account specifically for the expenses involved with the upbringing of our children, such as advanced education (like tutoring or private school), extracurricular activities, summer camps, etc. My fiancee is Caucasian and grew up in a middle-class family so he already knows that the woman's role in society and in the family are just as important as the man's. Yes, the boys carry the family's name but daughters are important too!

My hope is that the women who read this blog will think less about what the BC and society thinks about us and more about improving yourself from the inside out and creating the life you want! I want to see less depressed struggling single mothers and more happy wife and moms.

No comments:

Post a Comment