Wednesday, July 9, 2014

What is femininity?

There are some debates surrounding this question. Some women loathe the word "feminine" and equate it to everything pink, frilly, girly and weak. That's understandable but not quite the truth. Yes, those things can be associated with femininity but in truth it is about being who you authentically are. That's it. It's different for each woman.

I like pastel colors, lace, animals and makeup but that doesn't make me more feminine than a woman who plays football and drives a monster truck.


If that woman is confident, has inner strength and is emotionally connected and passionate then she is a feminine woman, whether she likes it or not LOL Her feminine energy will flow and men and women alike will be drawn to her. A feminine woman is a force of nature!


There are some core aspects associated with all feminine women, such as:
Empathy, sensitivity, tolerance, and softness.

There are many more but those are the first that popped into my head. Were you expecting me to mention "beauty", "long hair" "red lipstick" or "dresses"? Yes, those things can make a woman seem more feminine in looks but they do not make someone more feminine in nature. From experience, I can say that those things can help you feel more feminine, though!

There are many reasons why Black women as a group aren't seen as feminine or why you, as a Black woman, may not feel like a feminine woman. This blog is a platform of positivity and growth so I will not go into depth about why and who's "fault" it is. There are many other blogs and facebook pages for that. This also isn't a place where I will continually bash Black men or trash White women. They will come up, when I post about relationships (friendships as well as dating and marriage) but I'm not the type to badmouth others and curse ;) I will bring up social issues that we face as Black women and how to combat them with class and grace.

Black women have had to adopt masculine traits to protect ourselves since The Black Power Movement and the Feminist Movement has failed us. I don't believe it's necessary to be the stereotypical  "strong Black woman". You don't have to be loud to get your point across or aggressive to protect yourself. Our passion and inner strength is admirable but we must be smart about what we put our energy into.

I know I am physically and mentally strong but I also recognize my feminine nature. I love men. I want to get married and have children and that doesn't make me weak. I believe women make this world a better place. Our nurturing, compassion, love, determination and overall essence contribute to positive things in this world. The world needs us :) This photo below is just as much as a strong Black woman as any other Black woman.


Please comment and share your thoughts about femininity and what it means to you.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this post, because many women (including myself) think that in order to feminine they have to fit a certain type, when there are any types of feminine women. A feminine woman to me is loving, compassionate, vulnerable, and authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, the young lady above is pretty. What is wrong with being, slim, soft sensual and very feminine looking. NOTHING AT ALL! I support any black woman who loves femininity, because that is true strength.

    ReplyDelete