Monday, January 19, 2015

Some harsh truths

I want 2015 to be the year of growth abundance and change for BW. But I've got to be real. There's a lot of whining that goes on in online black women spaces. Now I've experienced some tough times like most BW have. The harassment, bullying, misogynoir (spelling?), and have noticed the anti-bw propaganda in the media. But I have noticed that that's all BW want to focus on. It's to the point where I believe most BW are content with being mules and everyone else's step ladder and want to live dysfunctional lives. I have more hope for the younger generations to come because they are waking up.

1. Not everything is so black and white. Literally. As a BW, the black community isn't your ally and believe it or not the white community isn't as progressive as people claim is to be. Take it from someone who's lived in California, the most "liberal" state of them all, for a while now. Don't be alarmed by this but noone is really in our corner, even fellow BW. Take the BW who shamed accomplished Gabby Douglas for her hair or started a petition for Beyonce to "fix" her daughter's kinks. Upwardly mobile BW only have like minded upwardly mobile BW in our corner. Seek these sisters out and befriend them. You need a network of support. There are people out there of all races that will be good friends, coworkers, business partners and love interests but no one race of people is going to be there for you. Deal with people on a one-on-one basis.

2. No one is going to fix you. Your past and insecurities that keeps creeping up on you is your responsibility to deal with. Do you think that people will treat you better knowing that you have been hurt in the past? Nope. Accept it and take action. Make goals for yourself, seek therapy. Help yourself because noone else will put in the effort to do it.

3. Being a "good person" doesn't earn you brownie points. What goes around doesn't always come back around. You can be the sweetest person ever and still get screwed over. The man who cheated on you with your best friend may not suffer for it. He may even fall in love with her and have a happy marriage with 2.5 kids and a dog. It sucks but it's true. Be a good person for yourself and to spread goodness in this world. Don't expect good things to happen to you just because you followed the 10 commandments.

4. Speaking of religion, be wary. Very wary. We've already established that the black community does not care for BW. Well the church ain't much different. In fact, I would say that Christianity was the worst thing to happen to Black people. Christianity has made blacks complacent in their own demise. "Keep praying and God will make a way". No he won't. You have to make yourself a way. Obtaining the life you want requires a lot of work and effort and when you get to where you want to be you should pat yourself on the back and not thank some imaginary white man in the sky. This may offend you but it's the truth.

5. The past is already written. There's nothing you can do about it unfortunately. Forgive yourself for your mistakes and make an effort to not do it again. Forget about what was done to you but don't forget the way it made you feel. Don't let someone's else's actions towards you determine your self worth. It's hard and may sound nearly impossible but it's necessary for a healthy mind. The messed up things that someone has done to you is a reflection of THEM. I know there are a lot of BW living their lives without confronting the fact that they were molested and/or bullied. You can't change what happened to you but you need to take care of  it or else it will eat you alive. You will be laying awake in bed at night thinking about what happened. You will be walking around with a mean mug and being hypersensitive. You may even develop a hunger for violence to hurt people like they hurt you. That's not the answer. Therapy is. All you can do is move on. Time machines don't exist.

6. No one has all the answers you need. I for sure don't. There is much advice out there for specific things you need but there's no step-by-step guide out there that's going to help you find happiness. Firsthand experience and self reflection will give you all the help you need to grow.

7. Money doesn't solve all problems, just a lot of them. Guess what happened when my income bracket increased? My whole life changed. I had access to better housing, colleges, jobs,  I was less stressed and depressed because I wasn't worried over everything, I started to look better, I was in more beautiful surroundings, and because of all of this I was able to attract higher quality people into my life, including my dear husband and best friends. Living in poverty has been proven to make people develop mental illness. Lavish lifestyles and wealthier people in general are demonized but there's nothing wrong with living in abundance as long as you aren't hurting people to get there.

8. There's nothing you as an individual can do to save the BC nor is there anything you SHOULD do. For decades the effort has been one sided and it ain't working so guess what? Put that effort into saving yourself and the Black woman collective. If BM were real men then they wouldn't need our help! Instead of protesting, picketing, marching and boycotting for a group of men who don't value you, do that for yourself and other BW. Our killers, stalkers, rapists and molesters need to be brought to justice! When you accept this and learn to live your life caping for YOURSELF and not someone who hates you, you will feel a huge burden off your back! Am I saying to write off BM as potential love interests, friends and business partners? Not entirely but you need to realize that they aren't our allies. Deal with people on a one-on-one basis.

9. Black does crack. Just not as much. Take care of your body and it will take care of you. You don't need to be a size 2 and have skin like Chili from TLC. Your body is a temple so treat it as such.

10. Keeping it real isn't always the way to go. Have you seen that skit in Chapelle's Show "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong?" That's how "telling it like it is" goes in real life. It is a stereotype of BW to be loud and sassy and blunt and honestly I have found it to be true. Not all BW but this kind of behavior is glorified in the BC. Don't catch onto it. Be tactful, hold your tongue sometimes and watch your delivery when giving constructive criticism or responding with criticism. 

11. Colorism, featurism and hair texturism were all here before we were. It goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back. Think of all those black starlets back in the day. Dorothy Dandridge, Eartha Kitt, Shirley Bassett, Joesphine Baker, all of them are mixed/biracial and I believe that is why they were so famous. Don't get me wrong, I love their work but I know that had they been darker, or had broader features and coarser hair, they wouldn't have been so famous. BM wouldn't have helped get them into Hollywood and society wouldn't have accepted them. Its a harsh truth. Racism is above our heads and while I think we should all do our part by sticking together and protecting one another I know that whining about it does: NOTHING. Instead of whining about Beyonce, Zendaya, Draya Michele and other's being in the spotlight, how about this: Don't support them. Don't give your hard earned money in propping them up. Literally don't support so called BW who show no interest in solidarity. Act like they don't exist and observe how society reacts. It will be interesting. "I'm black enough to play Aaliyah". That's unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated. I wonder if we funded more things like Dr.McStuffins, The Princess and the Frog and other things where the Black girl actually appeared Black, what would society do?

12. Men aren't perfect. Knights in shining armor don't exist. Men aren't princes that come along and save your life. They are great partners and companions and I believe everyone deserves a healthy relationship but if you expect a fairytale relationship then you will be surely disappointed. Disney fooled us all :(

13. There's nothing wrong with marrying up. In fact, I suggest every upwardly mobile BW to do it. It was a standard for my future husband to make six figures and I'm not ashamed of it and refused to let anyone make me feel guilty.

14. Your friends are a reflection of you. The people you surround yourself with make or break you. When I joined the military I was surrounded by people who had drive, integrity and goals they wanted to accomplish. Every single one of those friends is living a functioning life as far as I know. No babydaddy drama, no huge money problems, they travel, they are positive and uplifting. People like this can be found in college, at libraries, at seminars, basically anywhere that promotes growth.

15. You have more control over your life than you think.

16. As an American you are spoiled. Life may be expensive but things like education, employment, freedom of speech, etc are at least attainable and sometimes free :) Take advantage of it because there are millions of people you cannot even drink clean water and are dying from easily curable diseases. It could have been you! So be grateful and take advantage.

Good night.

10 comments:

  1. This is a good list, but I'm not sure I necessarily agree with #4. But then again, I've never been to a predominately black church so...I never really hear sermons about "the struggle" and such.

    I go to a very diverse church and because of my denomination we emphasize healthy eating, exercise, and having faith (which I believe in good for mental health).

    I think developing some form of healthy spirituality is good.

    Besides that, I really enjoyed your list.

    May I ask what you studied in college? You mentioned you went to the military.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing but the truth! :) I feel that #7 and #13 are related because people always try to deter black women from raising her standards in relation to anything and when it does happen they call her names and say that she thinks she is better than them, but when she listens to them they tell her that she was crazy for listening to them . Either way you can't win when it comes to pleasing other people, besides the only person you should be pleasing is yourself. In regards to #15 I am seeing this more now as I see how my irrational fear of not going after what I want due to perception of others is not hurting anyone, but myself because when I don't do what I want to do I end up not being happy. Sorry if both my comments from this post and the other one sound similar, I didn't know which one to comment under about this specific issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent 100% on point!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will say one thing about #3 the law of sowing and reaping is very real. While the proverbial guy who cheated on her lived happily every after? The payday could come back at the end of his life or his daughter may reap it when a guy does the same thing to her, but it will come back. Just because we don't see it happen does not mean it will not happen. It just may not happen in the timing we expect but is does happen somewhere, sometime, and somehow. I have seen cumuppances that did not happen til YEARS later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you have written. I have a question. I am 28 I have a dagree however when it comes to finding a job in my filed it seems impossible. I live in England and have been networking and applying for jobs not just in my country but I can't seem to get ahead, it's been 3 years of constant job searching and it's tiering. I do have a job at the moment in customer service the money is ok but I hate it it makes my sole bleed. Do you have any advice you seem pretty clued up,

    ReplyDelete
  6. i disagree on the religion aspect; just because you believe in God doesn't mean you don't work hard. and with anything, any piece of Words you believe in, can be twisted to suit your own laziness. yes, that was offensive.

    anyway, i agree with the rest. esp. the "doing good" part. as far as "being real" i think authenticity is more important. authenticity with tact.

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leeha, the advice I would get you is work on your attitude. i have been there (over qualified for customer service roles yet working there). Not that there is nothing wrong with you. But if you are bitter and resentful, people will avoid you. And you only live once.
    Try being agreeable to yourself, cut yourself some slacks. Use this job as a learning curve to hone your social skills.
    In my old job,a colleague was always similg, often volunteering to do additional work and chatting to everyone (small talk). Well, she quietly sent 3 job applications to other companies weekly. And one day, she handed out her resignation :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As far as church is concerned, I second your post although I am a Christian.Too many bw have no core values when it comes to the Bible.
    Instead of interpreting it for themselves, and stepping out on the promises God has for them, they parrot what pastor/sister so & so has said.

    I recently left a church becausethey were shoving the stay at home gospel down your face. For various reasons, I believe in a women working. So i've moved to a church that is less controlling. Working brings me peace and I trust God to love me. Therefore if people want me to do things that make me unhappy, I move. Simple

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good list,by the way even actress who were bi-racial looking faced discrimination. After Dorothy Dandridge went to the hotel swimming pool to swim, the hotel drained it and scrubbed it, she was also called racist names throughout her career, the same with Eartha Kitt , and Shirley Bassey grew up facing a lot of discrimination. Even nowadays many bi-racial looking celebrities are not really that up there, Halle is not really on the same level as Nicole Kidman or Charlize Theron, even though Halle won an academy award ,it was for a garbage movie and she has not done anything extraordinary since. Beyoncé and friend are entertainers not actresses and people love to be entertained. Also you know that in Hollywood there is a look that they promote for stardom even among white actresses. Hollywood is an illusion, I remembered when I worked as a movie extra, most top actors and actresses I would never give a second look at if they were ordinary people walking the street. The same in the modelling field many of the models are better looking in picture than it person. Just think about princess Di, if she was a clerk with a smock on working in a grocery store, would many people give her a second look( I think she was attractive, but aren't some women who are not in the limelight). There is an great illusion in this world regarding fame and money. I like your idea in not supporting some of the celebs, I think that if many of us were to get our lives straight, get a proper education, get our finances in order, and make ourselves beautiful without Hollywood plastic surgery, we wouldn't give a damn about the illusion and window dressing the powers to be like to tell the rest of us in society. It's all a game. I like the idea that your are into working on yourself and not bothering with the bs illusions in this matrix. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

    FORWARD THINKING BLACK FEMALE

    ReplyDelete