Monday, December 15, 2014

Celebrating the holidays




When December 1st rolls around, it's almost like my own little world inside my head goes a little bit coo-coo and into a hazy cloud of glitter, fairy lights, and all things festive. My personal favourite time of year :)



I've always had a vague notion that traditions and rituals were good for you. My family thought it was corny that I made cards and dressed up for each holiday even if we didn't celebrate it ( like St. Patrick's day) but I enjoyed it! And as it turns out, decades of research back up my hunch on this topic.

Since the 1950s researchers have studied the role of traditions in family life. Not just holidays but any routine or set of behaviors that has a symbolic meaning and says "this is who we are" as a group. Psychologists link these kinds of practices with higher academic success, happiness and emotional well being for the family. When parents ascribe a high level of meaning to rituals, the children are found to have better emotional skills. Not only that, but it aids in marital satisfaction as well :) Practicing meaningful traditions also relieves stress and lowers anxiety levels.

Why are rituals so powerful? They offer regularity and a sense of order. When you know what to expect and have a feeling of "this is the way my family does things" it helps you make sense of the world. Do you remember how excited you got when you made your favorite Christmas recipe with your mother? Or when you made gingerbread houses at school? You have every right to still get excited about those things as you get older. In "Family Routines and Rituals by Barbara Fiese" it states that the more meaningful older teenagers felt their family rituals were, the more likely they are to have a strong sense of themselves and be able to handle the stress of going to college freshman year.


What I like to do is what most people do every Thanksgiving. They say what they are grateful for, etc. Every holiday I reflect on what I am grateful for, what I am working towards, what goals I have achieved since the last holiday, etc. It sounds like a lot but I have found that talking to myself and keeping track of my personal development helps me get to know myself more. As I've said in a previous post, I have suffered from anxiety and depression in the past and have learned how to cope through times of grief like the loss of my younger brother and financial problems in the past. I am a big stickler for emotional health and I value the holidays because each one gives me the chance to celebrate something beautiful about life.

If this sounds like a good idea to you and you'd like to try it, I suggest getting a notebook and using it as a journal. Or you can even start a blog :) Here are some prompts:
1.Dear past me...
2. Dear future me...
3.The people you most admire
4.What book did you read over and over again as a child?
5. What would your perfect day be like?
6.How would your best friend describe you?
7.Name your top 5 short term goals

Now onto Christmas-y things!







Food

30 comfort winter soups

Ginger Bread Cupcakes Recipe

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate

Decor

Christmas chalkboard decor

White Christmas

So pretty

Green & White

Drinks

Cranberry Mimosa

Sparkling Sugar Plum Punch

Beauty

Themed nails

More nails

Alex nails


Enjoy the holidays and treat yourself well.

2 comments:

  1. I did not know that traditions had so much effect on people. I hope to start a tradition for my future family, for I have always been interested in them and to me they strengthen a family's relationship. Also, thanks for the links. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...every Christmas Eve I sit with my hubby and watch A Christmas Carol. It makes me feel warm and content. Simple pleasures really add so much to relationships. Something to think about as you prepare for marriage. Congrats...and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete